April 04, 2014

Long tassel garland


I'm so on board with tissue paper tassel garland.. I mean who isn't?? It's so pretty! I've tried making these before using other tutorials and they just didn't turn out how I'd  hoped so I decided I wanted to show you how I did mine and tell some helpful hints. I finally cracked the code! This is what worked for me. I started by running to Walmart of all places and I found all my pretty pink tissue paper there. I actually thought they had a better variety than Hobby Lobby they are usually my go to place, they have lots of solid colors but I was looking for some fun prints.  I also wanted metallic gold Mylar in the mix and that was a little harder to track down. I made a pit stop at Zurchers and they had some YIPPEE!!! 
What you'll need: 
Assortment of colored tissue paper 
Rotary cutter 
Cutting mat 
Ruler 
Hot glue gun 
Twine  or chording 

Okay now get ready for the biggest secret.... YOU CAN IRON TISSUE PAPER!!!!  Well on a relatively low setting anyway and for the Mylar I just covered it with a this dish towel so it would melt it. When you buy the pre packaged paper it comes with all kinds of creases it's horrendous! 
So after you iron your sheet I'm gonna go all kindergarten on you and use the term "hamburger". So fold your paper hamburger wise  then fold it hamburger wise again and grab your rotary cutter and  use your ruler to help you cut straight lines and go vertically try and get it as thin as you can I'm talking spaghetti thin! leave about an inch and a half at the top 

Then once you've done all your slicing carefully unfold your paper and roll it down the center so your got paper fringe on both sides then twist it around its self to make a loop then use a spot of hot glue to stick the twisted parts together but its really important that you leave a space inside the loop so you can thread your chording or twine or whatever you choose to string it up with through the opening. 
This project is one of my favorites because it is so inexpensive and it's not hard just very time consuming! I've had people dying to know where I get the garland. I loved telling them I made it. So 
now that you've got this tutorial go  on now and make one for yourself you'll love it! Now skat! 😜


                                                




SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS