February 10, 2014

DIY valentines day cards

Hey ladies with Valentine's day coming right up I needed to do a project Valentines day is one of my favorites it's the girliest holiday of all lots and lots of pink, my favorite!! At Jossie's dance class last week before the teacher let them out she told them they could bring valentines to class the following week. I thought to myself how fun! I'll just go to target and let joss pick out some princess ones she will love that. Then I thought no... This is a perfect opportunity to be creative! I had the idea to make some custom ones using her sweet little face mostly cause she is new at dance so maybe this will help all the other little girls remember who she is. I had the cutest idea to use lyrics from  Frank Sinatra's classic song "Funny Valentine"  but I did that and neither my mom or my mother-in-law got the reference! I swear sometimes my soul is too old that I'm like an irrelevant 90 yr old lady. I ended up using some of the lyrics anyway cause I got the cutest photo of Joslyn laughing 
What you'll need:
Some form of camera 
Photo editing apps
Cellophane bags 
Treats 
Hot pink thread
Sewing machine 

I started by trying to get a cute picture of my girl and I just so happened to snap one of her laughing! How did I get her to laugh you ask? I told her chicken butt jokes until she cracked! Yay go me!  
I used my go to photo editing app Pic Tap Go  I love it! It has so many fun filters and my favorite thing about it is that you can layer the filters. With this photo I wanted it brighter and black and white BOOM I did it all in one place. The black and white filters are so crisp! 
 
Then I went to my other photo editing app Rhonna designs  if you don't already have this app honey you need it! It's amazing! I used it to get all my text on the photo I love how all the fun valentine colors pop against the black and white. 

I ran over to my cute mother-in-law's house and she helped me get them printed out on card stock. 

I got all my materials I needed . My cellophane bags that I found at Walmart were way to long 
So I just set my Laffy Taffys on top of the bag and placed the picture on top to gauge how much I could cut the bag. I just left about and inch of overlap in the back of the photo. I put the treats inside the bag and I put a thin line of Elmer's glue on the back of the picture and stuck the bag on. But just know that it won't stay at all. I just did that to lightly hold it in place before I sewed it. 
I ran it under the sewing machine with a hot pink zig zag stitch. I really think it gives it a little something no?  I didn't do any back stitching. I tried it on one and I didn't like the way it looked. As long as you don't mess with them too much they should stay sewn. That's the finished product it's such a fun way to give a very personal valentine. This was such a quick and fun little project! Give it a try let me know if you have questions. 
I couldn't leave Kater bug out of the fun! If you didn't want to put in all the time to add candy. You can do what I did and just print out the photos and slap them in envelopes and send them out to your family. I did that too. 




SHARE THIS POST - {PINTEREST}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS